Tooth whitening lightens teeth and helps to remove stains and discoloration.
Whitening is among the most popular cosmetic dental procedures because it can greatly improve how your teeth look.Whitening is not the same as scaling of teeth which involves cleaning of teeth.
Whitening can be done in the dental office or at home.
Types of teeth whitening:
- Whitening Toothpastes and Rinses : Toothpastes can contain mild abrasives (gentle polishing agents) to facilitate the removal of stains on the outer surfaces of the teeth while brushing. A mouthrinse can contain hydrogen peroxide as to help whiten your teeth while you freshen your breath at the same time. These products can be used daily, especially after meals that cause staining to occur. Initial results can be seen in as little as a few days.Special whitening toothbrushes are also available to polish teeth without abrasion using special condensed bristles.
- Chewing Gum and Whitening Strip: Typical at-home products include gum and dental strips. Certain types of chewing gum can be used daily and especially after meals. Whitening sugarless chewing gum helps to remove food residue after eating. Chewing gum stimulates saliva which can help to moisturize the mouth. The chewing gum whiteners actually coat the teeth to prevent staining so it can be used frequently. Whitening strips, on the other hand, are small plastic strips with a peroxide-gel side that you apply to the outer surface of your teeth, which can also help to facilitate a whitening effect. The strips can be used up to 30 minutes a day for maximum results and can be repeated for a consecutive number of days .
- Tray-Based Teeth Whiteners/Home Whitening : This product is mostly sold in OTC kits that involve the use of a mouthguard-like tray with a gel-based whitening solution with peroxide-based bleaching agents. Your dentist can provide you with a custom take-home whitening kit to improve the whiteness of your teeth. Impressions are initially taken of the teeth and then your tray is made to fit your mouth. Because it’s meant for at-home treatment, these trays have a lower concentration of peroxide than what is available from an in-office procedure. These trays can be used once-a-day, with each session lasting from an average of 30-60 minutes, for up to two weeks.
- In office dental whitening : . For in-office whitening, your dentist probably will photograph your teeth first. This step will help him or her to monitor the progress of the treatment. Your dentist also will examine your teeth and ask you questions to find out what caused the staining. Next, the dentist or a dental hygienist will clean your teeth. This will remove the film of bacteria, food and other substances that build up on your teeth and contribute to the staining. Once this is done, the whitening procedure begins.An in-office dental whitening treatment consists of a single visit that can achieve results in less than an hour. First, a protective coating is placed on the gum tissue and lips. Next, the whitening gel is applied to the teeth. Then, an ultraviolet lamp is shined onto the teeth to activate the ingredient in the gel. This process usually features a higher concentration of bleaching gel, and this type of treatment can yield results that are visible immediately.
- The ZOOM whitening system in Plantation : The procedure is simple but requires a trained dentist or clinician to administer. It begins with a preparation to cover your lips and gums, leaving only your teeth exposed. The Zoom dentist or trained clinician then applies the Zoom gel. The Zoom light is then pointed at the teeth surface with gel on them. The light and gel work together to gently penetrate your teeth, breaking up the stains and discoloration. The whitening gel is applied for 3 to 15-minute sessions for a total treatment time of about 60 minutes. Zoom can whiten teeth up to 8 shades in ideal situations. The Zoom! Light-activated whitening gel’s active ingredient is Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Laser Teeth Whitening : Laser teeth whitening is a good option because the procedure is painless and quick and the results are guaranteed. Compared to other teeth whitening products available in the market today, the benefits of laser teeth whitening are:
- Laser teeth whitening hardly takes any time. Other teeth whitening methods might require multiple sittings for prolonged periods.However, a laser teeth whitening procedure is done in one sitting of around 45 minutes. Once done, the results will remain visible for two years at least.
- Safety is important in any kind of cosmetic procedure. While use-at-home teeth whitening kits or strips have to be administered by the consumer himself, laser teeth whitening is handled strictly by professionals and hence the whitening is controlled.
- The results achieved are consistent, dramatic and guaranteed. Whitening toothpastes merely clean the stains on the surface. Other procedures might take days with no guarantee of results but laser teeth whitening provides visible guaranteed shade improvement in just one sitting.
- Inappropriate use of over-the-counter bleaching products can often weaken the teeth and the gum line. Prolonged use of such products can cause abrasion and damage the teeth permanently. However, when the laser teeth whitening procedure is conducted, certain measures are taken to protect gum sensitivity such as the use of a neutralizing gel or a rubber shield.
- The results are long term vis-à-vis other methods. Once the procedure is done, the results last up to minimum two years.Yellow or stained teeth can lower self-esteem considerably and laser teeth whitening are particularly helpful for such individuals. Apart from being safe, quick and consistent,the multiple benefits of laser teeth whitening also include tremendous boost to one’s confidence.
A whiter smile can be attained by just about anyone. Although store-bought products cost less than other methods, they also offer a less dramatic result than professional whitening treatment.
Always speak with your dentist prior to any teeth whitening treatment to ensure the safest way to achieve a whiter smile with the best possible results.
Keeping a healthy smile is of utmost importance, and maintaining good oral hygiene will keep your smile looking brighter longer. It’s important to remember that teeth whitening products are not permanent solutions, and touch-ups are mandatory to maintain results when your teeth continue accumulating stains. It is imperative to follow proper oral health care prior to any teeth whitening procedures as well, and you should always keep your twice-a-year professional dental hygiene appointments.